FOR RECENT POST
VIOLENCE & HATE CRIME: On-line Ontario-wide Reporting
– Truth is Scars left by name-calling can last a lifetime.
- Canada ranked a dismal 26th (reports of bullying) and 27th (reports of victimization) out of 35 countries (Craig & Harel, 2004).
- Bullying is often invisible and occurs behind closed doors without witnesses and even when bullying is witnessed, team members usually side with the bully (Becker 2005).
- 17% of targets have to transfer to other jobs and only 13% of bullies are ever punished or terminated (Becker 2005).
- 56 per cent of these hate-motivated crimes against the LBGT community are in fact the most violent (Cochrane 2011).
- 59% of LGBTQ high school students reported they were verbally harassed, compared to 7% of non-LGBTQ students (2009 Canadian Climate Survey on Homophobia).
- 80 per cent of the young people who are being attacked because of their perceived sexual orientation are actually straight (Cochrane 2011).
- 84% of bullied employees are female and 81% of bullies are in supervisory roles (Brunner 2003).
- 85% of LGBTQ students reported being verbally harassed at school in the past year because of their sexual orientation (2009 Canadian Climate Survey on Homophobia).
- Homophobic behaviour is passed down through generations at the kitchen table and has deep roots. Bullies end up in the work force, they end up in academia, they end up in unions. These practices don’t stop when you leave school, they continue throughout adult life. They become parents and that perpetuates the cycle (Cochrane 2011). More Info? click here
Want to see the Latest blog post?
Want to see the latest PSA videos?
Want to know who are leading the fight against bullying?
Want to pay tribute to some important people who became casualties of bullying?
Want to READ?! COPY?! DOWNLOAD?!
NEED HELP RIGHT NOW? CLICK HERE!